Thursday, July 11, 2013

transgender links, summer cooking link, and I've lost the internet battle in my house. It's over. I lost.

some lgtb links:

bad time to be lgtb in Russa:

http://www.travelandescape.ca/2013/07/russia-says-it-will-arrest-openly-gay-tourists/?utm_source=buffer&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=bufferc7df4&utm_medium=twitter


from the Advocate:

"Social Security Removes Surgical Requirement for Gender Marker Change



It will be easier for transgender people to obtain Social Security cards that reflect their accurate gender, while Australia formally embraced a third gender."

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2013/06/14/social-security-removes-surgical-requirement-gender-marker-change



     In other news, it's too hot to cook. Takeout is expensive, but I've been doing it anyway, because I just cannot make myself cook proper meals for the kids. When it's 107 degrees, my motivation and my ability to care about nutrition and money just burns up in the sun. I'm about to go buy sandwich stuff and drag the kids to a park for a picnic/walk, now that it's a bit cooler in the day. I'm in for a battle, they won't want to. They've been online all day. All. Day.
     To everyone who's worried about kids being addicted to Facebook, video games, etc. etc.? Don't worry about it. It's over. Done. Everyone ages twenty five and lower is practically wet-wired to their phones, laptops, tablets, and so on. Their brains work differently, their idea of privacy and socializing is different, their ideas about when it's okay to text (all the damn time is ok, in their minds) and do online stuff (all the damn time, whether they're with other people, or at a movie, or on a walk, or whenthehellever), it's all different and maddening and baffling. I've tried to fight this battle and I've lost it. I couldn't have lost it more if I'd set out to do just that. I've only got a few rules now, like don't you dare play with your phone while I'm talking to you, and laptops/tablets stay on the kitchen table at night. That's it. Them's the rules. I've lost all the other ones. If you've reined over the electronic beast in your homes, kudos to you. My kids are so overly dependent that getting Google glasses would be a step backwards. I wish I was exaggerating.

meals for summer link:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/aug/19/foodanddrink.recipes1

No comments:

Post a Comment